Feline Heatstroke in a Self Storage Unit

Mia Iverson | Aug 13, 2010 @ 09:54 AM

With more than 20 U.S. states under heat advisory, and many public buildings turning into ‘community cooling centers’, a storage facility in Madison, Alabama encountered what could happen if you tried to live in a self storage facility.

A 50-year-old woman, after being evicted from her home, used her self storage unit as a temporary home for her dozen cats. As temperatures swelled outside, the storage unit, with no air ventilation, reached a staggering 116 degrees. Some cats died; others had to be euthanized because of heat strokes. A local animal shelter rescued the few survivors.

Local officials don’t suspect foul play given that the woman left food and water for the cats. However, she faces charges of animal cruelty.

Something to consider: while living in a storage unit may seem like a tempting solution for temporary housing, lack of ventilation is a major key in why it’s against the law.

Read the full article here from WHNT 19 News.