Terms and Conditions of Renting Storage
When you are preparing to store your things in a self storage facility, it is important to know the terms and conditions up front. That way there are no surprises in the future.
Examples of things you might find in your contract:
- Your goods should be packed in a condition that will not cause damage or injury to the property. The storage facility does not want their unit damaged, nor do they want your items damaged.
- You will most likely be required to insure your items. Some facilities will offer their own policies, but those usually do not offer deductibles and have higher rates and lower coverage. It is preferable to insure your self storage unit through an independent self storage insurance agency or private insurance company.
- The storage company will not be responsible for damages or injuries of your items being stored, unless it is their fault.
- In case of emergencies such as flood, storms, fires, riots, etc., the storage facility is entitled to arrange for a contractor to repair your unit.
- You will have notice prior to a rent increase (a certain number of days determined by the facility).
- You cannot remove your items until you pay all of your rent, taxes, fees, etc. Be aware that interest may also be charged on what you owe.
- You will be allowed access to your goods during regular business hours; you may need to get special permission if you want to enter your storage unit when the facility is not open.
- Your items will be removed on whatever date you agree upon. If there is no specified date when you sign your contract, you will need to give the storage facility notice (a certain number of days determined by the facility).
- If you do not pay your rent, the storage company has the right to sell or dispose of your items at your expense. Usually you have the same amount of days grace period that you do for other things on the contract. You will receive the proceeds from the sale after the deduction is made for whatever you might owe the storage company.
- The storage facility reserves the right to refuse to store any goods.
- The agreement is non-transferrable.